Reasons To Visit The Gambia
- Fantastic wintersun - over 30°C every month
- Uncrowded sandy beaches, especially in summer
- Under 6 hours flying time
- Easy journey - be by the pool late afternoon
- Same time zone, no jet lag
- Short transfers
- Unspoilt and uncommercialised
- Friendly people and exotic culture
- English speaking
- Wide range of restaurants
- Variety of quality accommodation
- River, bush and beach excursions
- Spectacular bird life and fishing
- Holidays to suit all pockets and tastes
The Gambia is a small, developing nation on the west coast of Africa and as such life varies in many ways from what you would experience in Europe, but herein lies the charm of The Gambia.
For many it is the local people that you will meet, friendly to a fault, others will cite the wonderful climate or great Beaches. For some it is the surprisingly good cuisine and the fact your holiday money goes just that little bit further. We feel there are lots of great reasons to visit, so take your time, explore our site some more and find out what The Gambia is all about.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Despite having a fairly rudimentary, if steadily improving, road system and little in the way of public transport, The Gambia is a very easy country to navigate; and providing you have a strong will and plenty of patience you can get pretty much anywhere.
There is a good tarmac road from the airport to the hotel areas, which is partially lit; however it must be stressed that good road surfaces, traffic and direction signs are still not common, yet this is set to improve in the future with a plan for more tarmacced surfaces and a greater emphasis on signage.
Most hotels have a taxi rank nearby. It is best to agree the price in advance and there should be a price board displaying the tariffs. Although taxis are regulated, many wouldn't pass a UK MOT test.
There is no railway and the only public transport are Bush Taxis which cover the main routes and some bush roads, but do not run to a schedule. They are cheap and very over-crowded but are a great way of absorbing the local flavour. Car hire is available but it is expensive and not recommended.